Devotional: Pray for our Nation (Adapted Patheos.com)
There is no one beyond the reach of prayer, because no one is beyond the reach of God. As we pray, God moves. He can sway the heart of a King. Proverbs 21:1 declares “In the LORD’s hand the king’s heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him”
Our president and leaders need and deserve our prayers. We are commanded to pray for Kings and submit to their leadership (1 Timothy 2:1-3; Romans 13:1). How can we biblically pray for the leadership of our country?
1. Pray that our country’s leaders would be given wisdom and knowledge.“Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?” (2 Chronicles 1:1).
2. Pray that our country’s leaders will walk humbly with God. “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8).
3. Pray that our country’s leaders will uphold a strong standard of righteousness.“For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer” (Romans 13:4).
4. Pray that our country’s leaders will do everything in their power to continue to care for those that need assistance. “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world” (James 1:27).
5. Pray that our country’s leaders will execute justice for all nations.
“Listen to me, my people; hear me, my nation: Instruction will go out from me; my justice will become a light to the nations” (Isaiah 51:4).
6. Pray that God’s will would be done through our country’s leaders.“In the Lord’s hand the king’s heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him” (Proverbs 21:1).