RESPONSIBILITIES OF ELDERS AT GRACE POINT CHURCH
The New Testament describes the activities of elders in three categories: overseeing, shepherding, and ruling. These functions naturally overlap (and should not be seen as independent, unrelated responsibilities). The following verses demonstrate how these elder functions might be seen in New Testament life.
1.By managing: "He (elder) must manage his own family well... For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God's church?" (1 Tim. 3:4-5 NLT)
2.By directing: "The elders who direct the affairs of the church..." (1Tim. 5:17)
3.By confronting: Elders and congregation work together in church discipline (Matt. 18:15-17, Gal. 6:1) and "honor those who are your leaders in the Lord's work: they work hard among you and warn you against all that is wrong." (1 Thess. 5:12 NLT)
4.By commissioning leaders: "Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands" (1 Tim. 5:22) or "Do not neglect your gift... when the body of elders laid their hands on you." (1 Tim 4:14)
1. By caring: "As a fellow elder, this is my appeal to you. Care for the flock of God entrusted to you..." (1 Pet. 5:2 NLT)
2. By guarding: (To elders)...savage wolves will come... so be on your guard!" (Acts 20:29, 31)
3. By teaching: "encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it." (Titus 1:9)
4. By praying: "call the elders... to pray..." James 5:14)
5. By embracing: (An elder)"...must be hospitable" (Tit. 1:8) or "He must enjoy having guests in his home." (Tit. 1:8 NLT)
1. By decision-making: "Obey your spiritual leaders and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they know they are accountable to God.." (Heb. 13:17 NLT)
2. By modeling: "being examples to the flock" (1 Pet. 5:3) or "Remember your leaders ... consider their way of life and imitate their faith." (Heb. 13:7)
3. By serving: ". eager to serve, not lording it over..." (1 Pet. 5:1-2)
The Elders are ultimately responsible for the local church under the guidance of Jesus Christ, leading them through the work of the Holy Spirit and the Scriptures. The Elders are accountable to the Covenant Members of Grace Point. The church's Biblical mission and vision, the church's health, and vitality, and the church's activities and plans are all equally under the governing care of the Elders. This leadership group assumes responsibility for the local church and must be faithful in overseeing, shepherding, and ruling. While this leadership body cannot personally meet all practical, spiritual needs of the church, these elders must see that all of the needs are met (through raising up co-laborers, Deacons and fellow ministers).
A final word from the Apostle Paul is instructive: "The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task."
–1 Timothy 3:1